Skip To The Main Content

In This Section

Applicants with Foreign Undergraduate Degrees

If you are a graduate of an undergraduate program outside the United States, you may apply to enter New England Law | Boston’s three-year, full-time or four-year, part-time JD program. Successful completion of either program will allow you to sit for any bar examination in the United States.

Credential Assembly Service for International Students

New England Law requires that foreign transcripts be submitted through the Law School Admission Council (LSAC) JD Credential Assembly Service. If you completed any postsecondary work outside the United States (including its territories) or Canada, you must use this service to submit foreign transcripts.

The one exception is completion of the foreign work through a study abroad, consortium, or exchange program sponsored by a US or Canadian institution. If so, this must be clearly indicated on the home campus transcript.

This service is included in LSAC's Credential Assembly Service (CAS) subscription fee. In addition, a Foreign Credential Evaluation will be completed by the American Association of Collegiate Registrars and Admissions Officers and incorporated into the CAS report.

Requirements for Students with Foreign Undergraduate Degrees

All students must take the LSAT as part of the application process. If English is not your first language or if your undergraduate degree was not received from an English-speaking institution, you must take either the Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) or International English Language Testing System (IELTS) and receive a minimum score of 100 on the Internet-based test for TOEFL or a minimum score of 7.0 for IELTS.

You must contact the Educational Testing Service to request that your TOEFL score be sent to the LSAC. The LSAC’s TOEFL code for the JD CAS is 8395. Your score will then be included in the Foreign Credential Evaluation, which will be included in the LSDAS report. You'll find more details on the LSAC website.

To use the JD Credential Assembly Service, log in to the LSAC online and follow the instructions to register. Be sure to print out a Transcript Request Form for each institution, and send it promptly to each one. More time is usually required to receive foreign transcripts.

For questions about the JD Credential Assembly Service, contact the LSAC at 215-968-1011 or

Advanced placement is available only with permission from the Office of the Dean.

Nonimmigrant Students

We welcome international students to pursue their interest in law at New England Law | Boston. If you are a nonimmigrant student, additional paperwork and documentation may be necessary.

Please note that satisfying any visa or entry requirements of the US government is your responsibility. You also may be required to register with the federal government. Entry requirements and visa information are available from the US Immigration and Customs Enforcement.

Visa Information

Applying for Form I-20 and F-1 Visa

Once you have been accepted at New England Law | Boston and have paid the required deposits, the Office of Admissions will send your application for a Form I-20 (Certificate of Eligibility for Non-immigrant Student Status) to the Office of the Registrar. This application must include supporting financial documentation (bank statements, etc.) that show your ability to finance your first year at New England Law, including tuition; health insurance and other fees; books; and living expenses. After the registrar has reviewed this application and financial documentation and deemed it satisfactory, the information will be entered into the Student and Exchange Visitors Information System (SEVIS), and your Form I-20 will be printed with your SEVIS identification number on it. The I-20 will be mailed to the address you provide on the application. When you receive the Form I-20, you should sign it immediately on page 1 and read the information on page 3.

You will then need to make an appointment at a US embassy or consulate in your home country to apply for a student visa. Changes in US visa laws and regulations have increased the amount of time it can take to get a visa, and processing times will vary.

Typically, you will be required to provide your valid passport, letter of admission, I-20 form, official copies of your financial supporting documents, and other supporting materials as needed. We recommend that you schedule an appointment at the nearest US embassy or consulate as soon as possible. However, note that you cannot have your visa issued more than 120 days before the start date on your I-20 form, and you may not enter the United States earlier than 30 days before the start of your academic program. The website of your particular consulate or embassy can be found at Select the city and country where you will apply for a student visa (“nonimmigrant” section) to learn what the procedures are for your particular consulate. The following US State Department website also has helpful information:

If you are a newly admitted international student entering the United States for the first time and applying for an F-1 visa for the first time, you must pay a SEVIS fee. When you receive your I-20 form, go to to pay the SEVIS I-901 fee online or receive information about other payment options. Print your receipt as proof of payment.

Canadian Citizens

Canadian citizens do not need visas to study in the United States. However, you do need to obtain an I-20 Certificate of Eligibility from the school that you plan to attend. At the time you receive the I-20 certificate, you will be registered with SEVIS, the international student tracking system. You will be assigned a SEVIS number and are required to pay the SEVIS I-901 fee. Visit to pay the fee online, or receive information about other payment options.

When you cross into the United States, you will need to provide:

  • Proof of identity and citizenship (a Canadian passport, for example)
  • The original I-20 from New England Law | Boston
  • Proof that you have paid your SEVIS I-901 fee
  • Proof that you have enough money to pay for school
  • Proof of your ties to Canada

International Students Who Have Attended Another US School

If you have previously attended another school in the United States, you should not apply to New England Law for a new I-20. When you have completed your program at the previous school, you will need to have that school’s SEVIS I-20 record transferred to New England Law. You should contact your international office or appropriate department to request the transfer of your I-20 and SEVIS record to New England Law. Ask your school to contact the New England Law registrar to determine the date when your I-20 may be released from your previous school to New England Law.

  • A US address is required by the US Citizenship and Immigration Services. When you arrive, please be sure to give your most current local address to the New England Law Office of the Registrar, so it can be updated on your official SEVIS record. Any changes in address also should be reported to the Office of the Registrar at
  • You must have your I-20 signed once each year by the registrar. Failure to do this, especially if you are traveling, may result in a delay at the US border.
  • Your passport must be valid for six months past the completion date on your I-20. For example, if your I-20 expires on May 31, 2016, your passport must be valid until November 30, 2016.
  • You must maintain full-time status for your division and remain in good academic and financial standing while at New England Law. Academic dismissal by the law school will result in you having to leave the United States. Similarly, unpaid tuition that results in administrative withdrawal from the law school may cause your lawful status to be in jeopardy.

Contact Us

Please contact the Office of the Registrar for visa questions and the Office of Admissions for questions related to applying.

Office of the Registrar
154 Stuart Street
Boston, MA 02116
617-422-7215 (phone)
617-422-7365 (fax)

Contact Admissions