Skip to Main Content Return to the New England Law | Boston home page

Aid Process

New England Law | Boston awards federal financial aid on an annual basis, and students must reapply yearly.

What You Need to Apply for Aid

  • The 2018–2019 Free Application for Student Aid (FAFSA) form is at
  • The Office of Financial Aid E-App will be available on the My Fin Aid site in January 2018. An e-mail will be sent to all current students with log-in information. It can be resent to you upon request.

More details about these forms

I've completed these forms.  What's next?

More details about these forms

1. Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA)

The FAFSA is required of all students applying for financial aid. You will need to fill out a FAFSA (or renewal FAFSA) for each year you attend New England Law. The New England Law FAFSA code is G08916. Once your FAFSA is completed, the Department of Education will forward an electronic copy of your records to the school for use in verifying your eligibility.

Students can submit the FAFSA on or after October 1 each year. Students are required to report income and tax information from the previous tax year. For example, you would submit the 2018-2019 FAFSA on or after October 1, 2017, using your 2016 income and tax information. (Please note: you must submit the FAFSA for every year you intend to apply for federal aid.)

We strongly encourage students to choose the IRS Data Retrieval Tool (DRT) option when completing the FAFSA, if you are eligible to do so. Using this option will pull the data from your relevant tax return into the FAFSA. If you are selected for verification by the Department of Education, this option will help to reduce any additional paperwork that might be necessary for our office to review.

  • Have a federal tax return filed with the IRS
  • Have a valid Social Security number
  • Have a Federal Student Aid ID
  • You are married and either you or your spouse filed as Married Filing Separately or as Head of Household
  • You filed a Puerto Rican or foreign tax return

If you are not eligible to use this option for any of the reasons listed above, you will need to manually enter your tax information on the FAFSA. 


2. Documents for the New England Law Financial Aid File

All students requesting financial aid are required to submit a New England Law Financial Aid E-App in addition to completing the FAFSA form. This application gathers information about financial aid for law students that is supplementary to that collected by the FAFSA. The E-App can be completed on the My Fin Aid website. Log-in information for the site will be e-mailed to you.

3. Additional Documents That May Be Requested

If any of the following documents are needed, you will receive an e-mail notification from the Office of Financial Aid. Do not send these documents until you are instructed to do so.

  • Verification Worksheet: If selected for verification, you will need to complete this form and provide supporting documentation.
  • Tax Transcript: This may be requested if your federal tax return is needed and you are not able to use the IRS Data Retrieval Option on the FAFSA. Instructions will be sent to you in the e-mail request on how to obtain a tax transcript.
  • W-2 Forms: These may be requested if you indicate on the FAFSA that you did not file a federal tax return, but you did have income.


Return to top of page

I’ve completed these forms. What’s next?

Returning students will receive a financial aid award notification email on a rolling basis after your completed file has been reviewed. Students who were recipients of merit scholarships and have completed their documents will not begin receiving notifications until after the close of grades in June.

You will be directed to sign in to My Fin Aid to review the award terms and accept, reduce, or decline your federal loans. At this time, students should also review the Documents and Messages pages on the My Fin Aid site to make sure that all necessary documentation has been received for the office’s review and for loan disbursement.

If you have borrowed federal loans at New England Law in a prior year, you may not need to complete entrance counseling or a Master Promissory Note again. Please review your Documents page on My Fin Aid to make sure we do not need you to complete a new form. Examples of why you may need to complete new forms include a previous MPN expired or if you required a co-signer on a previous Grad PLUS Loan.

Entrance Counseling must be received before the Office of Financial Aid will initiate your loan request. Master Promissory Notes must be received before Direct Loans will disburse your fund request to the school.

Types of aid you are applying for:

(If you have previously borrowed loans at New England Law, check your Documents page on My Fin Aid to make sure we do not need you to complete a new form)

Needed before loan disbursement:

Suggested completion date*:

Federal Direct UnsubsidizedStafford Loan

May 15, 2018

Federal Direct Graduate PLUS Loan

May 15, 2018


*Please note: completing documents after the suggested deadline may result in late fees charged by the Office of Student Accounts, if the loans are not originated or disbursed in a timely manner due to late award acceptance or MPN/entrance completion.


Return to top of page