Skip to Main Content Return to the New England Law | Boston home page

Legal Career Services Frequently Asked Questions

Below are the answers to frequently asked questions our office receives. If you have a career-related law school questions not covered below, please feel free to e-mail us any time or call the office at 617-422-7229.

I am a first year student, when can I meet with the Career Services Office?

First year law school students may begin meeting with the Career Services Office (CSO) after November 1st of their first semester.

I am a graduate of the school. Can I still use the office?

Yes. The CSO offers many of the same services to graduates as they do to students including one-on-one counseling, resume and cover letter reviews, and access to the online job postings.

When should I start looking for a job?

For first year day, first year evening, and second year evening students:

We encourage students to spend the beginning of their first semester focusing on their classes.  After November 1st, first year students may contact the Career Services Office and begin looking for a summer internship.

For second year day and third year evening students: 

Depending on the area of law, some second year day and third year evening students may need to start looking for summer employment as early as the month before the start of the fall semester. Students should stay informed by reading the Fall Recruitment Packet which will be e-mailed to all rising second year day and third year evening students over the summer.

For third year day and fourth year evening students:

It is never too early to begin the post-graduation job search. Students are encouraged to meet with a career counselor in the spring of their second year day/third year evening year or during the fall of their final year to discuss their particular career options and job search timeline.

Can I send my questions via e-mail or call? Can I stop by anytime to meet with a counselor?

Career counselors are available to answer your career-related questions by e-mail, phone, or in person. However, we encourage making an appointment for more lengthy questions and for planning a job search strategy. [Law school FAQ - back]

Where can I print or fax my resume?

The CSO has everything you need to present your resume to employers, including two computers, a printer, and a fax machine. We also have resume paper, envelopes, and labels for your employment mailings. Stop by our office today. [back]

My summer internship is unpaid. How can I find outside funding?

There are a number of resources for students to fund their unpaid summer internships. Through the school, eligible students may apply for Federal Work Study through the Financial Aid Office or for a Public Interest Law Association (PILA) grant to fund their placement. PSLawNet also provides information on a number of outside funding resources. [back]

Can I get academic credit for an unpaid summer internship?

Students may receive academic credit for internships through the school’s Clinical Program or through our Judicial Internships program. These are great ways to gain real-world experience while also earning academic credit. [back]

How do I get S.J.C. Rule 3:03 certified?

Students entering their last year of law school who have successfully completed or are enrolled in a course for credit in evidence or trial practice may apply for S.J.C. Rule 3:03 certification through the Office of the Dean for non-clinic sponsored internships. Students participating in the clinic may apply through the clinic office.

Please contact Lamiece Thomas, Administrative Assistant to the Deans, to acquire the proper forms.


I am looking for a job out of state. What resources does the CSO have for finding jobs outside of Massachusetts?

The CSO posts a number of out of state positions on our online law school job postings. We are also a member of the Inter-Collegiate Job Bank which includes postgraduate positions from law school job postings around the country (Contact the CSO for a username and password.) Students looking for work out of state are also encouraged to request reciprocity. [back]